Ingredients:500g minced pork
1 T cornstarch
1 T minced fresh ginger root
1 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
2 t sesame oil
2 T shallots, white parts only, chopped finely
2 T water chestnut (from the can), diced
1 bunch Wong-Bok (napa cabbage), cored and cut into chunks
1 Litre chicken stock
1 bunch corriander, roughly chopped for serving Pre-fry dipping sauce:
3 T soy sauce
2 t sugar Directions:
1. Mix all dry ingredients together (pork, ginger, shallots, water chestnut, sugar). Then add soy sauce, sesame oil, egg, cornstarch.
2. Pour chicken stock and water in to a deep soup pot. Put half amount of the cabbage into the soup till its boiled and turn it on to low heat.
3. Shape the meat mix into 5 cm meat balls (or any desirable sizes). Throw them around a bit between your hands like you do when making hamburgers to tenderise the meat.
Heat up a separate fry pan with a bit of oil, coat the meat balls with Pre-fry dipping sauce, and fry the meat balls one by one.
4. Simply seal the meatballs till it’s 20% cooked. Then transfer the meatballs to the boiled soup stock. When all the meatballs are in the pot, cover them with the rest of the cabbage.
5. Put a lid on the soup pot, leave a bit of breathing gap only.
6. When the meatballs & cabbage are fully cooked, approx. 20 min. Serve them with corrianders. It is a soup version thus it’s really good with vermicelli or noodle.