A wonder side dish to go with cold cuts, any main courses.
Small Lebanese cucumbers 7 (cut into quarters and deseeded)
Sea salt 65g
Peanut oil (or veggie oil) 1 Cup
Sichuan peppercorn 1T
Dried red chillies 15
Fresh ginger 1 large knob (julienned)
Dried Shitake mushroom 20 – 25 (soaked in warm water for 30 min, remove stalks, chopped)
Light soy sauce 2.5T
* prepare a 2 L glass jar, sterilised.
- Sprinkle the salt over the cucumber and mix well in a colander. Leave for 1 hour, then rinse well in cold water, drained.
- Heat a wok (or saucepan), add the oil till hot, put the chillies and peppercorns till slightly blacked.
- Add all the sauces in, ginger, mushroom. Slow sauté till fragrant, finally add the cucumber in for 1 min.
- Pack everything into the jar, let cool and seal. It’s ready to serve after 1-2 days. Usually last about 2 weeks.