Indian flavored chicken with some personal twist.
I don’t have a name for this dish, it is quite appetising in a hot summer day when mango is in season.
For pickling mango:
3 Green Mangos (skimmed and sliced)
2 Tbs Sea salt
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Chilli Powder
1 Tbs Fenugreek crushed
1.5 Tbs Yellow Mustard Seeds crushed
2 Tbs Coriander Powder
2 tsb Tumeric Powder
1 Tbs White Vinegar
3 Chicken Thighs (skinned and cut into big chunks)
2 Carrots (large chunks)
1/4 Cabbage (sliced)
2 Potato (large chunks)
Approx. 350ml Coconut milk
A bunch of fresh coriander
A bunch of fresh mint
2 long red chilli (julienne)
1 fresh Orange or Red Mango (diced)
1. Salt the green mango and leave for 1-2 hrs till its dehydrated and excess water drained.
2. Squeeze the excess water out and massage the rest of the pickling ingredients onto the mango.
3. Jar the green mango for 2 days in the fridge.
4. Marinate the chicken chunks with pickled mango and add more spices if need be. It can be marinated over night or for 30 min.
5. Hot the sauté pan with some vegetable oil on high heat. Put the marinated chicken in and sauté till fragrant, along with potato and carrot.
6. Add the coconut milk and cabbage. Covered and turn down the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and slowly simmer for 25 min. (or till potato is cooked)
7. Stir in the fresh mango and put the lid back on. Then turn the heat off.
8. served with freshly chopped mint & coriander, long red chilli.
Taste along the way, add salt accordingly if it’s not enough.