This chilli paste is versatile and can be served as a condiment to go with radish cake, yum cha dim sim, spread on bread or accompany rice.
It can also be used as a base, simply stir fried any proteins (seafood, chicken, beef).
Or use it as a curry paste by adding some coconut milk and it’d be a delicious Malaysian style curry.
40 Bird’s eye chilli
5 Green long chilli
1 Capsicum (red)
1 Red onion
20 cloves Garlic
2 Stalks lemongrass
10t Chilli powder
6t Tumeric powder
15 Candle nuts
2T Shrimp paste (oven roasted)
2 lime juice
1 cup Palm sugar
Food processor needed
- Chopped everything into smaller pieces (chillies, onion, garlic, lemongrass, candle nuts) and process in batches.
- Heat up a fry pan with a bit of oil and start frying the mix till it’s cooked thoroughly.
- Add chilli powder, tumeric powder, shrimp paste, lime juice and palm sugar to taste.
- Slowly reduced the sambal till it turns into paste like.
- Sambal belacan is ready and wait till it’s totally cooled down before it can be jarred. Freeze it would prolong the consumption life. Once the jar’s opened, please consume within 1 week.