A popular dish from Hunan, China. Eggplant is in season at the moment, it’s easy to make and deliciously light and spicy.
What you need:
1 large Eggplant
2 Dried Shitaki Mushroom (soaked in boiling water for 30 min)
250g Minced Turkey (or pork)
2 Tbsp Chilli Bean Paste
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 fresh red chilli, finely sliced
2/3 cup chicken stock (or water)
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
2 shallots, chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
Peanut oil for frying
1. Peel the eggplants, cut them in rectangular chunks, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 30 min.
2. Drained the mushroom, finely chopped and set aside.
3. Rinse the eggplant thoroughly and pat dry. Heat the oil in a deep wok over high flame and fry for a few minutes until they are tender with slightly gold tint. Shake off the excess oil and set aside on the paper towels.
4. Drain the oil until only 3 tablespoons remaining. Add the turkey and stir-fry as it separates an loses its water content. Add the chilli paste until the oil is red.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients (ginger, garlic & Shitaki mushroom), pour in the stock, soy sauce and eggplant. Simmer for a few minutes until all flavours have penetrated the eggplants.
Season with salt if needed.
6. Finally turn up the heat to reduce the sauce of you prefer the dish dry. (I generally don’t, as I like the sauce). Drizzle the sesame oil and Sprinkle the shallots on top to serve.