This dish is great to be prepared in advance for a few lazy week night meals or as a side dish. It can be kept in the fridge for a few days, microwave friendly.
What you need:
1 Cauliflower – cut into small florets
20 Brussels Sprouts (or more, if you like them as much as I do) – cut into half – can substitute with broccoli if Brussels sprouts are not available
1 big Brown Onion – sliced thinly
1/2 Cup Penne or spiral pasta (optional)
3 Tbs Pasata (tomato puree; to cheat, use tomato based pasta sauce)
1 Cup Light White Sauce (to cheat, use commercial white sauce in the jar)
1 cup or more of mixed cheese – cheddar, Parmesan & mozzarella (to cheat, use commercial cheese for bake)
Optional – some Rosemary or Oregano
** White Sauce – https://forkstick.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/bechamel-sauce-white-sauce/
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree
- Boiled a big pot of hot water, blanched cauliflower till soften. Drain the water, put cauliflower aside. You can cook Penne pasta at the same time, but it takes longer to cook.
- Heat up a pan with olive oil, add onion until caramelised and add Brussels sprouts until half cooked. Add cauliflower, add pasata and white sauce, the herbs (optional), until all’s mixed well.
- Layer the vegetable mix onto the baking tray, Sprinkle the cheese in between layers and top.
- Bake for 30 min or until slightly golden. Done